Shammi Kebab is a flavorful Hyderabadi (India) dish made usually with mutton and chana dal (lentil split chickpeas), shallow fried. This is a quick and easy to cook recipe. A perfect snack for parties and elaborate family meals.
View Recipe PDF
Soy free, gluten free, corn free, dairy free, nut free.
2.2 lbs (1kg) boneless mutton (meat of your choice) cut into small cubes
1 cup split chickpeas (chana dal) soaked for 2 hrs
1 tablespoon ginger & garlic paste
1 teaspoon red chilli powder/paprika
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon caraway seeds (shah jeera)
1 teaspoon ground garam masala
1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
1 bunch of mint leaves, roughly chopped
1/2 bunch coriander/parsley/cilantro, roughly chopped
3 green chilies, roughly chopped
2 large onions, roughly chopped
1/2 cup neutral cold-pressed oil
- Add a tablespoon of oil into a hot pan. Add 1 teaspoon of caraway seeds (shahjeera) and let it splutter
- Add a 1 large chopped onion
- To the onions add salt to taste & mix well
- When the onions are lightly brown, add 1 table spoon of ginger & garlic paste
- Add 3 chopped green chilies, mix well and cook until the ginger & garlic paste blends into the onion and the raw flavor goes away
- Add 1 bunch of chopped mint leaves and mix well
- Add 2.2 lbs (1kg) cubes of boneless meat
- Mix well to combine all ingredients. Cover it and cook till the meat is tender
- Boil the soaked split chickpea (chana dal) in water in an open pan, for about 20 mins or until the grain becomes lightly soft when crushed with fingers
- Once the mutton is cooked and tender, remove the lid and simmer until the moisture evaporates
- Add 1/2 bunch of chopped coriander/parsley/cilantro
- Add 1 teaspoon of red chili powder/paprika
- Add 1 teaspoon of ground garam masala
- Drain the water from the cooked split chickpea (chana dal) and add it to the cooked mutton
- Mix well and cook until the remaining moisture evaporates. Cool it down in open air
- Grind to a coarse fibrous consistency and NOT a paste
- Add an egg and combine well (optional)
- Make even sized meatballs (size of your choice) I like it big
- Press the meatball flat to the center and add some chopped onions (optional but recommended)
- Gently fold in the meat from the sides to conceal the onions completely
- Shape it into a patty, similar to that of a burger meat patty
- Patties should be thick and fuller & not thin
- Shallow fry each patty with 1/4 teaspoon of oil on medium-high flame\
- Shallow fry until brown on both sides. (refer to photos for color)
Serve with gluten-free buckwheat roti wrapped and veggies of your choice and along with dairy-free cashew cheese.
Shammi Kebab tastes best as is, with a mint dip.
Did You Try This Recipe?
Let us know how it went! Please comment below and consider sharing on social media.